Friday, March 26, 2010

True Repentance Includes Making Things Right Ezra 10:2-3

Ezra 10:2-3 (New International Version)

2 Then Shecaniah son of Jehiel, one of the descendants of Elam, said to Ezra, "We have been unfaithful to our God by marrying foreign women from the peoples around us. But in spite of this, there is still hope for Israel. 3 Now let us make a covenant before our God to send away all these women and their children, in accordance with the counsel of my lord and of those who fear the commands of our God. Let it be done according to the Law.

 The kings of Persia had allowed the Israelites to return to Jerusalem to rebuild the temple and restore their practices. God was guiding them in all they were to do. He commanded them not to marry foreign people in that land. When Ezra arrived he learned they had done exactly what God commanded them not to do, they had intermarried. Ezra was appalled. he prayed to God for forgiveness and sought direction. Shecaniah suggested they make a commitment to send away all the foreign women and children to make things right with God. The people agreed to support Ezra in this. Ezra gathered everyone at the temple and issued the order to send away all of the foreigners and again follow God's commands. The people agreed they had sinned and did as Ezra commanded. They repented by changing their ways but also showed their repentance by making things right.

I love God and want to follow Him and please Him in all I do, but I still sin and fall short regularly. When I recognize my sin I repent and promise to change my ways. All too often that is as far as it goes. The sin and the results are still there. I rationalize it my thinking I can't unring the bell. I think that once it happens it's too late to change so I accept it into my life and move on. Many times I like the result of the sin and use this as an excuse to keep it around. True repentance means to turn from my ways but also to make things right with God. I need to remove the sin from my life no matter how painful or awkward it might be. This is never easy, but in doing so I honor god. The Israelites were willing to make major sacrifices to honor God and keep Him first. I need to follow that example and do the same.

Dear Lord,
You are a holy, righteous God. Your ways are perfect and right. I know that and yet I still reject them at times and go my own way. My idea of repentance is often not enough. Help me to take the extra step to make things right before You. Let me be willing to do whatever it takes to fully restore my relationship with You no matter how awkward or painful it might be. Let my repentance be complete as I stand before You to seek Your forgiveness and look to restore fellowship with You. In Jesus' name.

Keep the SON in your eyes,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment