Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Freedom has a new meaning in Christ Galatians 5:13

Galatians 5:13 (New International Version)


 13You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature[a]; rather, serve one another in love.

 the Galatians were struggling with their new found relationship in Christ. They had received Christ and were growing in their relationship with Him when some believing Jews cam along and told them circumcision was necessary as well. They wanted the Galatians to follow Christ and still follow the old testament law as well. Paul took the time to explain that life in Christ frees us from the law. It does not free us up to sin but it frees us up from sin and allows us to live our lives like Christ and for Christ.

As a follower of Christ I am no longer "under the law". The law was a bunch of rules that were good to live by but were put in place to show me I could never meet God's standards without a relationship with Christ. The relationship I have with Christ frees me from the burden of the law. that does not mean I am free to ignore the law and sin all I want, it means I can now focus on Christ and pleasing Him. If I focus on all the rules I spend my time worrying about what not to do and trying to stay inside the lines. If I focus on Christ and pleasing Him, I am drawn to the center and don't have to worry about the boundaries. Both have the same goal, but only one way is attainable. I have tried it both way and the only way I have found success is in Christ. There is freedom in serving Christ in that I don't have to focus on doing a thousand things right, I only have to focus on one thing, pleasing God. When I use that as a guide, the path for my life is more defined and easier to identify. With a clear picture of a defined path I am free to move forward pleasing God as I go. That gives freedom a whole new meaning.

Dear Lord,
I thank You for the new found freedom I have in You. I thank You that You have freed me from a life of sin and given me a new life following You. Help me to grow in my appreciation and understanding of the freedom You give and all that it offers. help me to focus all my efforts on pleasing You and trusting the path You have laid out for me. I know that I will continue to sin. Let me see my sin for what it is and the bondage it brings. Expose my sin so that I can turn from it and back to You. Use me in the lives of others so that they might discover and enjoy the freedom that is found in You and You alone. In Jesus' name.

Keep the SON in your eyes,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment