Monday, February 1, 2010

What will people say about me? Genesis 6:9

Genesis 6:9 (New International Version)


 9 This is the account of Noah.
      Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God.


The Lord created the heavens and the earth and everything in it. God felt the things He created were good. When He created man, he felt that it was "very good". The we started eating forbidden fruit and murdering our brothers. Things continued their downhill slide until God looked around and saw "how great our wickedness had become" and that "every inclination of the thought of our heart were only evil all the time". we had completely abandoned our relationship with God and were chasing evil. God was grieved and heartbroken. He realized the only way to rectify the situation was to destroy everything and start over. In the middle of this He saw Noah. Noah was surrounded by all sorts of evil. He was living among a civilization so wicked they were about to be wiped off the face of the earth. God described Noah as "a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God". When God chose to wipe the slate clean He trusted Noah to start everything over and do it in a Godly way.

I know the person I was and I know who I am in Christ today. I have seen the change He has made in me. I sometimes wonder how others see me. I pray regularly that people would see past my faults and see Christ in me, but I wonder just how effective I am. I wonder if my epitaph would ever say "he walked with God". I would hope that my life reflects my relationship with God but I know me well enough that I don't instantly think of the words "righteous" or "blameless" when describing myself. It would be nice if people saw me that way but what really matters to me is how God sees me. I don't know what his friends thought, but god saw Noah as blameless. My prayer is that my life would be pleasing to God. I hope that when God sees something that needs to be done He could look at my life and trust me to toe the right thing for Him. I pray that at the end of my life God will be able to say, "Ron? Yes, he walked with God".

Dear Lord,
You have given me a life filled with opportunities to please You, to walk with You, and to serve You. I have wasted some of those opportunities and have done well with others. Continue to work in my life to make me more like You. Let others see You in my life and the change you have made in it. Mole me into the righteous and blameless man You have called me to be. Help me to run this race for You and give me the strength to finish well. Let the life I live reflect Christ in me so that others will be able to see I walked with God. In Jesus' name.

Keep the SON in your eyes,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment