Monday, February 8, 2010

What am I really willing to do for God? Genesis 22:1-2

Genesis 22:1-2 (New International Version)

1 Some time later God tested Abraham. He said to him, "Abraham!"
      "Here I am," he replied.
 2 Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about."

 God promised Abraham a son and said he would give him countless descendants. Abraham had to wait until his old age to finally see the answer to his prayers. When Abraham finally received his blessing, a son, God called him to sacrifice that son. Abraham wanted to obey God more than anything else and was even willing to give up the most precious thing in his life to please God.When God saw Abraham's heart, he revealed it was only a test and provided the offering for the sacrifice.

The bible tells me this was only a test, but Abraham didn't know that. He went up the hill willing to do whatever it took to please God. Abraham didn't give up his son but was willing to. When God saw that He was pleased and provided another way. God may challenge me to do things I am not comfortable doing. Sometimes He wants me to do it and sometimes He just wants to see my willingness. God's motives shouldn't matter to me. I should always be willing to do whatever God calls me to do. I have seen Him work in my life enough to know I can trust Him in whatever he calls me to do. Still, there are too many times I have said no to God because of my fears and lack of faith. I have failed many tests over the years and am sure I will fail more. Through this process I hope to become more like Abraham, willing to do whatever God calls me to do adn more like Christ who took that extra step and actually did it.

Dear Lord,
Your are a God who can be trusted to always do what is best for me. I know that and know You would never call me to do anything to contradict that, but I still lack the faith to follow wherever You lead. Fill me with the desire and willingness to obey You in all I do and answer Your every call. Give me the faith to say yes to You no matter what the request may be. Help me to be like Abraham who trusted You at Your word and was willing to do whatever You called him to do. Let me show my willingness to follow You with my actions adn not just my words. As I do, use me more and more to do Your will. In Jesus' name.

Keep the SON in your eyes,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment