Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I do believe, I just need a reminder Genesis 15:1-6

Genesis 15:1-6 (New International Version)

 1 After this, the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision:

       "Do not be afraid, Abram.
       I am your shield, [a]
       your very great reward. [b] "
 2 But Abram said, "O Sovereign LORD, what can you give me since I remain childless and the one who will inherit [c] my estate is Eliezer of Damascus?" 3 And Abram said, "You have given me no children; so a servant in my household will be my heir."
 4 Then the word of the LORD came to him: "This man will not be your heir, but a son coming from your own body will be your heir." 5 He took him outside and said, "Look up at the heavens and count the stars—if indeed you can count them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be."
 6 Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness.

 God had given Abram success and blessed him in many ways, but he had not given Abram children and specifically an heir. God reminded Abram that He would protect him and reward him. Abram saw that as empty without children. god showed his that he would have countless descendants. Abram believed God an it was credited to him as righteousness. Abram already knew that. In Genesis 13:16 God made a covenant with Abram and promised him descendants as numerous as the dust of the earth. So, what Abram heard later was nothing new, he just needed to believe it. It appears he did because in verse 6 the bible says that he believed and it was credited to him as righteousness.

Like Abram, I believe some things are true but still have trouble believing they are true for me. I read the promises from God and believe them to be true. God shows me the blessings He wants to give me in His time and I know He can. I still become filled with doubt at times and need a reminder. It is oftentimes a process for me. God tells me and I believe it but it takes me a while to accept that it is true for me as well. It is a lack of faith on my part that I have to work through. There usually comes a time when I "get it" and finally believe as I should. I want to be like verse 6 Abram. I don't want to believe the face, I want to believe the Lord. I want to trust in Him enough that I'm not focused on the facts and how it will work out, but focused on putting my trust in Him, truly believing in my heart that God will make it true in the way He sees fit. I want to live by faith that God will provide and make His word true in my life and not just be the knowledge that these things are possible. That thinking is a big difference for me and becomes a stumbling block in my relationship with God. he knows that and continually reminds me of His promises and reassures me of our relationship. He knows what I need to get to the place where I truly trust Him by faith and he is patient enough to make sure I get my heart where it needs to be.  Each time I got through that process it makes it easier to trust God the next time. I just wish I wasn't such a slow learner.

Dear Lord, Your are trustworthy and You prove that to me on a daily basis. You have always been faithful to me. I know from experience that I can trust You but still need constant reminders. Forgive me for being so slow to learn. help me Lord to trust You the first time and not be filled with doubt. Give me the ability to live for You by faith with no hesitations, no fear, and no doubt. Build me up from the man I am to the man You've called me to be. In Jesus' name.

Keep the SON in your eyes,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment