Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My children learn by watching me Genesis 26:7&30:3

Genesis 26:7 (New International Version)


 7 When the men of that place asked him about his wife, he said, "She is my sister," because he was afraid to say, "She is my wife." He thought, "The men of this place might kill me on account of Rebekah, because she is beautiful."
 
Genesis 30:3 (New International Version)

 3 Then she said, "Here is Bilhah, my maidservant. Sleep with her so that she can bear children for me and that through her I too can build a family."

 Isaac went to live in a foreign land. He was afraid of the people there an feared they would kill to take his wife. He told everyone she was his sister to save his own skin. He was found out and the people couldn't understand how he could do such a thing. How could he do it? He learned it from his father, Abraham (Genesis 12:11-13). Rachel was unable to have children. Rather than trust God and wait on Him, she gave her servant to Jacob to give him children for her. How could she give another woman to her husband? How could Jacob agree to this? They learned it from Abraham and Sarah (Genesis 16:1-2).

Abraham was a man of God who led his family in God's ways, but he had a tendency to do things his own way rather than wait on the Lord. While I'm sure Abraham told his family about God, they were learning from his actions as well. It is said, "More is caught than taught" and I see it at work here. Abraham's children learned what to do by watching him as well as listening. The problem was the part they were watching should have never been followed. Abraham's sin effected not only his children but his grandchildren as well.

If my kids follow me around long enough they can learn how to live for God. The problem is there are some things they should emulate and some things they should ignore. Ho do they know the difference? They trust me. I tell them about god and how we should live for Him. When they watch my life they rightly assume that is how those words are lived out. If they choose the same path it is my fault when my children follow my example into sin. I need to live a life hat lines up with what I say. AS a husband and father I'm responsible for setting a Godly example for my family. If they have to go elsewhere to find a Godly model, I have failed them. If they follow my poor example, it's even worse. I need to live my life to please God not just but for all those who follow me as well.

Dear Lord,
You are the perfect example in my life. I can always look to "You as a model of how to live my life. My children cannot always say that of me. Forgive me when I fail them. Reveal those failures to me that I might work to make them right. Help me to be a Godly example my family can follow. Let the life I live not only be pleasing to You but be a righteous path for my family as well. Keep me from making foolish decisions and help me live a life that will make You proud to call me one of Your children. In Jesus' name.

Keep the SON in your eyes,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment