Thursday, January 28, 2010

Do the right thing not the easy thing Matthew 27:24-25

Matthew 27:24-25 (New International Version)


 24When Pilate saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. "I am innocent of this man's blood," he said. "It is your responsibility!"
 25All the people answered, "Let his blood be on us and on our children!"

Pilate wanted to release Jesus. He know it was the right thing to do. His wife even encouraged him to do it. The crowd that had gathered wanted Jesus crucified. Pilate washed his hands and refused to have any more to do with it, claiming he was innocent in the matter. The crowd was all to willing to take responsibility for what was about to happen. The crowd could have had Jesus released but refused, instead chose to crucify an innocent man. Pilate felt he got off the hook because he "washed his hands" of the whole thing. It's not that easy. The crowd is responsible for their actions but Pilate is just as responsible for his. The passive aggressive attempt to put the decision and the blame on the crowd was nothing more than a cop out on Pilate's part. He had the authority and responsibility to make that decision. It was his chance to do the right thing, but he squandered it and tried to shift the blame because he was afraid. Courage is not the lack of fear but doing the right thing in the face of fear. Pilate failed a big test that day.

God puts me in situations constantly where I have to make hard choices. Each choice is mine to make and each decision I own alone. Sometimes I do well, other times I fail. I know there is forgiveness for my bad mistakes and poor choices, but I still have to own them. God has put me in the position to make those decisions, and and as scary as it is sometimes, I need to have the courage to make those decisions.Each decision is an opportunity to do the right thing for God. When I refuse to act and put that decision on someone else, I'm avoiding the responsibility God has give me. I refuse to act because I am afraid of the outcome. By forcing other to decide I can shift the blame later. that is the coward's way out. I need to stand up and do or say the right thing even when I stand alone. With God's help, I'll find the courage to do so.

Dear Lord,
I know that You have prepared me beforehand for the tasks and decisions you have put before me. I pray that You would give me the courage to do the right thing even when I stand alone. Help me to remember that even during those times I don't ever stand alone because You are always by me side. Give me the wisdom to make the right decisions. When I'm weak give me the strength to stand by them. When I fail, show me the path to right my wrongs. and give me the courage to follow through. Let all that I do and the decisions I make be pleasing to You. In Jesus' name.

Keep the SON in your eyes,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment