Monday, January 18, 2010

Look at their heart Matthew 3:4-6

Matthew 3:4-6
    John's clothes were made of camel's hair, and he had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey. [5] People went out to him from Jerusalem and all Judea and the whole region of the Jordan. [6] Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.


    John was a devoted man of God, but he didn't have a church, he didn't wear fine clothes, he wasn't the center of attention, he wasn't the guy everyone wanted to be. John was living in the wilderness wearing homemade clothes, and eating bugs for dinner. Even so, people sought him out and went to  him to draw closer to God and learn more about Him through John.

John didn't look like a preacher. He didn't act like a preacher. There was nothing about his appearance or his surrounding that would attract people to him. People found value in the message he had and it prompted them to seek him out. There was something about John that make people look past his appearance and circumstances and want to know him better.

There are many people in my life who have the looks and the money. They live in the right areas and have the right jobs. We share the same interests so it is easy for me to connect with them . God has also put people in my life with whom I don't  take the time to get to know. I have no idea what they have to offer because I've never taken the time to find out. There are times I am too busy looking at the outside of a person that I miss what is truly important. I don't ever see their heart. I'll never know what I am missing out on until I open my heart more than my eyes and see these people the way Jesus sees them . I need to spend more time looking at what these people mean to Jesus than what they mean to me.

Dear Lord,
Help me to see the people You put in my path the same way You do. Stir my heart to reach out to them and take the time to know who they really are. Put people in my path who can help me grow closer to You and not just feel better about me. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

Keep the SON in your eyes,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment