Monday, January 11, 2010

Sometimes it's just time to pay up

Ezekiel 23:35

35 "Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: Since you have forgotten me and thrust me behind your back, you must bear the consequences of your lewdness and prostitution." 

This chapter discussed how the Israelites were living their lives in defiance of God, sacrificing their children to idols, worshiping idols, reaching out to their enemies, and marrying and living among them. Many of the acts described in this chapter can be seen in our society today. God was keep a hedge of protection around them and continually tried to get their attention. At this point he is removing his hand of protection to is leaving them to the consequences of their sin. 

God is faithful and remembers His promises to His people, but when they turn their backs He chastens them in love (Hebrews 12:5-6). God did not abandon his people or cause bad things to happen, He just let events take their natural course. When I live in defiance of God and His instruction and will for my life, I can expect to reap the consequences of my sin. I tend to shake my fist at God and blame Him for my circumstances, but it is usually nothing more than the results of my sinful way of life. God doesn't cause the bad to happen in my life but He allows it, hoping that I will turn back to Him. Hebrews 12:5-6 tells me that He does this in love. When these things happen in my life, both good and bad, it is a reminder that he loves me enough to keep trying.

Dear Lord,
Thank you for caring enough to stay involved in every area of my life. Thank you for never giving up on me. Your love and patience have seen me though many rough times and brought me back into your presence. I long to live a life that is pleasing to You but You are well aware I have a long way to go. I pray that You continue to work in my life and help me to learn from my mistakes, each time drawing closer to you. I thank you Lord and lift this up to you in Jesus' name.

Keep the SON in your eyes,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment