Friday, January 22, 2010

Watch the careless words Matthew 12:34-37

Matthew 12:34-37
    You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. [35] The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. [36] But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. [37] For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

Jesus says the things we say are not just thoughts from our mind but flow from our heart. The things we say show the condition of our heart. If I store up the good things then good things come out in my speech. If I store evil in my heart, bad things come out. I am responsible for every word that comes out of my mouth and will be held accountable not just here on earth but before God as well.


The thing I say reflect where my heart is with God. The bad attitude, the coarse talk, the gossip, the angry words all reflect my current relationship with Christ more than what I say about Him. I think of the things I thing and say throughout the week and am ashamed. People who don't know God as well as I do praise me for my words and my lifestyle, but I know where I am and where I should be. Every word out of my mouth should be pleasing to God but I know it is not. The closer I am to God the more convicted I get over the words that come out of me and I am not convicted nearly enough. People praise me because I don't use profanity, but if the works I use have the same intent, there is no difference. I need to guard my speech as much as I do other areas of my life. That begins by changing my heart. That happens as I grow closer to God.

Dear Lord,
I know what You want from me and yet I fall short every day. You hear every word I say and know my every thought. You see my heart and know it's true condition. Change my heart. Fill me with a desire to live for You and please You in everything I do. Let this change be reflected in what I say and how I think. Any praise I get is not what others see in me, buy what they see in You through me. I pray the people in my life will see more of You and less of me. In Jesus' name, amen.

Keep the SON in your eyes,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment