Monday, January 11, 2010

Grace is good, but there are consequences for my actions

Ezekiel 33:15

15 if he gives back what he took in pledge for a loan, returns what he has stolen, follows the decrees that give life, and does no evil, he will surely live; he will not die.

In this passage God calls His people to right their wrongs, to return what did not belong to them, and to obey Him. He says these changes are the way to salvation.

God has made it clear that my salvation is not based on works, but is a gift from Him. Being a good person is not what gets me into heaven. It is by God's grace that I have a relationship with Him and have eternal life (Ephesians 2:8-9). But, my sin has consequences. My sin also affects others. As a follower of Jesus Christ, I need to confront the effects of my sin and do what I can to make things right. It's not about working to keep my salvation but about living my life to please God and be a good living example of the difference He has made in my life.

I have hurt and disappointed many people in my life and I know that I'm not done. I need to consider those past hurts and make them right. I owe a lot of apologies but don't say them nearly enough. It;s good to know that God will not remember my sins, but I can still see the effects of them in my life and in the people around me. Like a tornado that has gone though an area. it was chaotic at the time and is quiet now, but when you look around, the damage is still there. I have been that tornado in the lives of others and while things may have quieted down, the damage is  still done. That damage is a result of my sin and is my fault. It is my responsibility to go back and right the wrongs in my life not because I earn points with God, but because it is the right thing to do.

Dear Lord,
Forgive me for the sins I have committed against You and against others. Bring to my mind the hurts I have caused and move me to reconcile the relationships I have damaged and the right the wrongs. You have changed me from the person I was to the person I am today. I know I am a work in progress and I have a long way to go, but trust You to guide me on the right path. Bless those I have wronged and use me to make this right. I lift this up to You in Jesus' name.

Keep the SON in your eyes,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment