Sunday, January 10, 2010

Can I be useful?

Ezekiel 15:1-5
    The word of the Lord came to me: [2] "Son of man, how is the wood of a vine better than that of a branch on any of the trees in the forest? [3] Is wood ever taken from it to make anything useful? Do they make pegs from it to hang things on? [4] And after it is thrown on the fire as fuel and the fire burns both ends and chars the middle, is it then useful for anything? [5] If it was not useful for anything when it was whole, how much less can it be made into something useful when the fire has burned it and it is charred?

  
Here God tells Ezekiel that the vine is useless. It is good for nothing except fuel for a fire. John 15 says that we are branches on a vine.
John 15:5-8
    "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. [6] If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. [7] If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. [8] This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.


 On my own I am like the vine in Ezekiel. I'm not good for much. But John 15 reminds me that when I am attached to Christ I have value that I don't have in any other way. In Christ, I bear fruit for His kingdom. It is a reminder to me that any fruit you see in me is not me, only Christ working through me. There are times when I get puffed up and try to take credit for the fruit. This passage reminds me that I need Christ not only for me, but to be useful in His kingdom as well. So, if you see any fruit in me, thank God and remind me to do the same.   

Dear Lord,
I am humbled when I remember all you have done for me, but even more so when I see how you have used me. I am honored to play even a small part in sharing Your love with others. Lord, I pray that You continue to use me and do whatever it takes to keep me humble and to truly appreciate all you do in me and through me. I thank you Lord in Jesus' name.



Keep the SON in your eyes,
Ron
   

No comments:

Post a Comment