Sunday, January 10, 2010

Don't act surprised, you know better.

Ezekiel 6:3-5
    and say: 'O mountains of Israel, hear the word of the Sovereign Lord. This is what the Sovereign Lord says to the mountains and hills, to the ravines and valleys: I am about to bring a sword against you, and I will destroy your high places. [4] Your altars will be demolished and your incense altars will be smashed; and I will slay your people in front of your idols. [5] I will lay the dead bodies of the Israelites in front of their idols, and I will scatter your bones around your altars.




All through Ezekiel God warns His people of what He is about to do. He explains all they have done in defiance of Him and what the consequences will be. They did nothing to change their ways and ignored all his warnings. God used His word to show them the life they should live. He sent His prophets to warn the people and show them where they were falling short. Nothing made a difference. As we see later, the people complain and blame God for their circumstances as if they have no idea why all this happened.

I see the same thing today. God has given us His word as an instruction manual for our lives. He has given us the Holy Spirit to guide us. We have all the tools and information to live lives to please God and stay within His will. Yet, we constantly ignore His commands and wisdom, His desire for our lives and His guidance. When things take their natural course we act surprised and blame God. We continually push God out of our lives then accuse Him of abandoning us when He lets us handle our affairs on our own. I see this in myself all too often. I choose to do things my way then act surprised when I look around and don't see God anywhere. I shouldn't be surprised because God is doing exactly what I asked Him to do. I need a complete attitude change. I need to seek God first and live my life to please Him in all I do. As hard as I try, I continually go back to my selfish, self reliant ways. I am just thankful I serve a patient God.

Dear Lord, I thank You for loving me and having the patience with me I don't have with others. I long to please You but fail every day. I pray that You will forgive me as I stumble daily and see my heart more than you see my actions. Use Your word and Your people in my life to make me the person you want me to be. I want Your will to be the desire of my heart. Give me that desire. I lay my life before You in Jesus' name.

Keep the SON in your eyes,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment