Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Practice what you preach Matthew 23:27-27

Matthew 23:25-27 (New International Version)


 25"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. 26Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.
 27"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean.

 Jesus spends much of chapter 23 scolding the Pharisees for the lives they lead. He tells His followers not to do as the Pharisees do, because "they do not practice what they preach" (Matt 25:3). Jesus tells the Pharisees they are great at putting on a good appearance for others but in their hearts they are not following God. He compares them to a whitewashed bomb, clean and presentable on the outside, but filled with dead men's bones. The Pharisees were great at telling everyone else hat to do but would not put those same truths into practice in their own lives.

I love God and believer that I an living my life to please Him as best I can. I try to share His love and truths with the people around me in what I say and the what I do. While I fall short on a regular basis, I think I am on the right track. I'm sure there were many Pharisees who felt the same way I do when they looked in the mirror. They thought they were on the right track, but as Jesus pointed out, they were deceiving themselves and those around them as well. Self assessment does not work, especially for me. I can deceive myself and others into thinking all is good in my life and with God. I need people around me who will be honest and tell me when they see a problem or an area of concern in my life. I don't ever want anyone to have a reason to call me a hypocrite, which can easily become a true statement unless I cling to God each and every day. If you are reading this blog, I invite you to be one of those people who will give me an honest assessment of my walk with God from time to time.

Dear Lord,
You have given me a new life. You lead me to live a life that is consistent with Your teaching and share that life with the people around me. I pray that I will grow closer to You every day; that my words and my actions would line up with a life lived for You. When I stray bring conviction and accountability swiftly. Help me to live a life  that is transparent for all to see. Let what others see in me glorify You in every way. Let my life be an example to others as a follower of Christ and not a hypocrite, praising You with my lips but not with my actions. I thank You for the life I have and the chance to live it out for You. In Jesus' name.

Keep the SON in your eyes,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment