Sunday, January 10, 2010

Is God my personal ATM?

Ezekiel 20:30-31
    "Therefore say to the house of Israel: 'This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Will you defile yourselves the way your fathers did and lust after their vile images? [31] When you offer your gifts--the sacrifice of your sons in the fire--you continue to defile yourselves with all your idols to this day. Am I to let you inquire of me, O house of Israel? As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I will not let you inquire of me.


 The elders came to Ezekiel to "inquire of the the Lord. He spends the entire chapter reminding them of all the ways they have rejected Him and profaned His name. All the time they turned away to worship wood and stone idols and turned their backs on the Living God. This was the same God who had rescued them and provided for them  time and time again. Now, they are living their lives in rebellion to Him. Then, as if nothing had happened, they come to Him to ask for more. God says that won't happen.


God is not my personal ATM. He loves me, but will not be ignored and abused until I need something. He is a jealous God in that He wants to be first in my life. When I live for Him I have fellowship with Him. When I ignore Him and push Him aside, He stays away. How selfish of me to continually push Him out of areas of my life only to beg for His help when it is convenient for me. I expect God to be committed to me when I remain uncommitted to Him in so many ways. I need to quit worrying about how to get what I need from God and concentrate on how to be more like Him.

Dear Lord,
I love You and want You in my life, but I seem to forget that daily. Help me to be more like You in my thoughts and my actions. Let the things I do be pleasing to You. When I come to "inquire of the The Lord" let me come with a humble heart and a willing spirit. Let me be focused on You not only when I need something, but all throughout my day. Prompt me and stir my heart to reach out to you with my hands held high in praise and not just held out looking for a favor. I lift this up to you in Jesus' name.

Keep the SON in your eyes,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment